Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Sea World Wall Quilt


My sister emailed me photos to make a quilt for my niece for Christmas.  She loves dolphins and the pictures were from a trip to Sea World with her sons.  I came up with the wall hanging design. I dyed the background fabic from a white fabric with silver specks to add sparkle to the water.  I printed the photos on fabric & used iron on vinyl to add glossy effect of bubbles. Then appliqued them with iridescent thread.   The large dolphin (bottom left)  I designed from clip art using my designer software for my Viking Designer SE.  It's the largest design I've ever done & took me most of a day to do but it really turned out nice.  The other dolphin applique design was from Embroidery Library.  The Sea Turtle was from JuJu Designs.  I stitched fun fur yarn for the seaweed & finished the edges wavy with 2 strands of multicolored yarn for added texture and interest.  It was a fun project that I was thrilled with how it turned out.  You know how you design something in your head, but then in translation of that idea to fabric or paper can be disappointing or frustrating.  This one just flowed, step by step.  The hardest part was printing the photos.  Needed to adjust the saturation & contrast plus added the circle soft focus around each photo to add to the bubble effect.  It was a fun challenge & they loved it.

1 comment: